Before you decide to compete, you should definitely make sure you are prepared for the expenses. It is totally worth it, but don’t go into it uninformed. Everyone agree with me on that one?
I was plugged into a good *fitness community before I started and my trainer was very informative, so I felt very prepared and nothing took me by surprise.
They warn you it will be expensive, but let me break it down for ya…
- $$$$ Trainer – depending on how often you see your trainer and for how long you train with him/her before your competition this can be up to the thousands. Estimate between $50-80 per session
- $$ Posing classes – price varies, usually the cost of a training session or slightly less
- $$ shampoo and conditioner and exfoliating scrub (so your tan wont get splotchy) and lotion that you will blow through because you will be working out every day and sometimes twice (or more).
- $20 food scale
- $ per month you will need an average lifetime supply of ziploc baggies and foil 😛
- $80-150 per week on food
- $40 per month on supplements (protein, amino acids, liver, vitamins, glutamine, pre-workout drinks etc)
- $40-100 Massage
- $7.99 Half gallon water jug
- $100-$900 Posing suit – depending on how elaborate your suit
- $35 5″ clear heels
- $10-30 Miscellaneous jewelry
- $150+ Make up and Hair
- $115-150+ Tanning
- $45 Manicure/fake nails
- $25 Pedicure
- $100 Official NPC card
- $75+ Competition Entry Fee
- $100+ Hotel (+applicable taxes/fees) – even if it is local you will probably need to get a hotel unless you live close by, because there is usually a meeting in the evening, then you have to wake up EARLY for final tanning, hair and make up before the prejudging in the morning
- $20 Resistance bands to pump up back stage (it’s nice to have your own so you don’t have to wait and can even continue pumping while lined up before walking up)
- $250 Photo shoot (you’re in the best shape of your life, lots of people like to capture that accomplishment)
- $100-200 photo shoot apparel
- $10 Body scrub to exfoliate for at least a week before spray tan
Am I missing anything?