Sometimes your goals of being active may not align with friends or homemates, so reaching those goals can sometimes leave you feeling alone.
For me, when I was pregnant for the first time it left me feeling unsure about how to tackle my goals or feeling at a loss because my normal “ways” of reaching my goals I was told were unsafe or unhealthy for me and the baby.
Here are some solutions to sane and active:
Get outside. The vitamin D always does your psyche good – its a mood lifter. I once read that sunny San Diego was rated one of the country’s top cities for happy and active people – they attributed this to people spending time in the sun and being active in the sun (who wouldn’t want to with a beach front in your back yard?). Well…it’s not like the sun is only in San Diego! Which brings me to my next point…
Explore. I was surprised how much is available in my metroplex! It is known for it’s fine dining and shopping, so I never ever thought I would find AMAZING hiking trails just 40 minutes from downtown! Not to mention our spectacular lakes for kayaking! We even have little shacks that rent everything from canoes to paddleboards! Don’t be subject to your circumstances, make fun happen!
Ritualize. Plan a once a month outing. The scheduled time means you won’t break it and it could force you to get creative with HOW you will “out”. This month I rallied people to run a 5k with me. Next…hiking with the girlfriends! Now that the weather is warming up just a smidge I’ll bust out my lovely kayaks with the hubs or a girlfriend – or maybe rally a few others and rent from that little shack by the lake.
Don’t let anything stop you from your desire to be active – get out there and have fun with it! Active or not, people like to have fun, so maybe they just need an instigator – you! 🙂
These variations were the same as Day 29
Seated Cable Rows: I had to use a resistance band for all cable exercises. My trick is to perform the exercise until I feel a burn, THEN I start counting the required reps. This is not equal to doing them with the cable machine, but when you don’t have a choice, this a great alternative. Another option is to perform (more) bent over mid rows with this superset.
Wide-Grip Lat Pulldown: Same concept as the Hammer Lat Pulls except you open up your arms wide and palm away grip (versus hammer – grips facing in).
Hammer Strength Lat Pull: Threw my resistance band over the top of my door, then using the hammer motion I did beautifully executed lat pull downs. Note…Be sure it is not near the edge of the door where it can snap off and hit you haha…*cough* learned by experience *cough*
Hyperextensions/ Back Extensions: I knelt on my couch facing the arm of the couch. Arms crossed over my chest I let my body bend and hang over the side of the couch, then flexed up for the extension. I was surprised how well this worked!
What You Will Need:
- Pull up bar
- Barbell (optional since you can do this with dumbbells)
- Resistance band
I was floored when Elaine, of Following Augustine blog, nominated me for the Versatile Blogger Award! Any kind of recognition is just crazy and always SUCH an honor, but it was very moving to be nominated by someone who I have never met. Elaine shares many of the same goals and beliefs and has a heart for traveling – ah, my sweet spot! I am very grateful to have been chosen by her! Thank you Elaine!
For The Versatile Blog Award:
The 15 Nominees whom I have chosen..well…12
- Elizabeth (www.thinkliz.com) – This girl is THE most versatile blogger I follow. Cooking, sewing, organic, fair trade, crafts, family life…you name it! Though versatile, you could not at all call her blog chaos – nay, she blogs with a kind of creative expanse on these subjects but keeps you on track with your original reason for reading her. She never leaves you hanging, so if she posts a recipe, you’ll be sure to have her own personal insight on taste, additions, or edits. Not to mention she is a phenomenal photographer so you can at least entertain yourself with her photos and gorgeous face!
- Donloree Hoffman (Bikiniorbust.com) – I started following her when I first started training for MY first competition. She is as inspirational to me today as she was those years ago and I am privileged enough to now call her friend. Donloree writes about living fit year round but with the kind of casual hilarity that prevents it from being a “do this not that” kind of blog. It’s more like…a compilation of shorts: the hilarious fit life of Donloree.
- Rachel Brooke (www.rachelbrookeblog.com) – A natural light photographer that keeps her blog real with real life personal commentary. Sweet as her face, this girl makes you feel like she’s right next door and your long time friend.
- Kari: Figure Girl World – You may be able to tell this already, but most of the nominations I made for the Versatile Blogger award are because they are REAL. Kari is one of these spectaculars. She is never fake. Motivation, insightful and inspiring! Not to mention she is published by Fitness RX magazine – check out one of my fav articles here: http://www.fitnessrxmag.com/nutrition/dietrx/1092-how-to-not-sabotage-your-workout.html
- Susan Dowse – Her humor always catches me off guard in the way she unfolds her posts/articles. Writer, fitness-junkie, working mom, defender of the universe (part-time). These are her stories about family, fitness, and the attempt to find a life in balance. Check out her article in the current IMPACT Magazine! And get on board the athlete train…http://ow.ly/8FMQE
- Lisa Withrow – What I love about Lisa is that she fills you in on DETAILS – so if you ever want to know what she ate or what her work out looked like or if and when and WHY she did a cleanse, you will hear straight from her. Like Susan (above) She is a mom-wife-extraordinaire! No one tells these ladies that it can’t be done!
- Chantelle Enns: Diary of A Procrastinator – Chantelle is as blunt and real as it gets. She does not hold back. If you follow her blog you will know everything you might possibly encounter on the road of competing and insane fitness. So, instead of being informed, if you like being surprised by constipation due to dieting then don’t read her blog!
- Liz Heim: An Ordinary Girl’s Journey to Become A Figure Competitor – I nominated Liz for Versatile Blogger because she is a very versatile person. Her blog is all about fitness, but her life is anything but tunnel vision. The good, the bad, the profound, the norm…she tweets it all.
- Julia Nash: Feminine Fitness (http://www.femfit.co.nz/) – My favorite Kiwi! Check out her blog and her site! She is also a mom-wife-extraordinaire. What I love about Julia is that she makes it VERY obvious that family comes FIRST, but GOSH…if you look at her body you will think that all she does is workout and eat – phenomenal.
- Allison Siemens: Wholesome Fitness – Passionate, wholesome, mom-wife-extraordinaire – This is a fitness source you should absolutely link to no matter what stage of fitness you are.
- Becca: I Heart Eggs – I really would like to nominate Becca for most hilarious health and fitness blogger, but Versatile Blogger award will have to suffice. She is sarcastic and messy and occasionally sadistic which prevents any otherwise boring topic from being…well…boring. She is currently in prep so sarcasm levels are up and I love it!
- iRunnerBlog (www.irunnerblog.com)– This blog got me through many an injury. Ok…first of all, I must admit I am very very accident prone. I discovered Scott’s blog only 3 years ago and it encouraged, motivated, inspired and wowed me through my broken tailbone, my left knee tendinitis, my right knee sever strain, my plantar fascitis, and another round of knee injuries. He has a team of fun, witty, super informative, CREDIBLE people. Best running blog I have ever read. Witty and cram-packed full of fantastic information that every runner needs whether you are a novice or a pro.
About the Versatile Blogger Award – from the mouth of Edebock
Try as I might, I haven’t been able to find out anything about the origin of The Versatile Blogger award. I do know that it’s a bit like a chain letter, passed from one blogger to another but unlike the chain letters of old, it doesn’t promise fame or fortune to those who pass it on or threaten doom to those who don’t. It is, in fact, a way to share favourite bits of the blogosphere with our readers and to show appreciation to those whose writing we appreciate.
There are four rules for those who choose to accept The Versatile Blogger award:
- Thank the person who nominated you for the award and include a link to their blog.
- Select and nominate 15 blogs that you’ve recently discovered or follow regularly.
- Contact your chosen bloggers to let them know that you are nominating them for the award.
- Share 7 things about yourself.
- I love Christ
- I love my husband
- I love to cook (proof: faithkeith.com)
- I love to travel and live life to the fullest (this absolutely includes dancing and extreme sports)
- I get stuff done
- I do not like commitment, but if I commit, by golly you can count on me to come through.
- I am currently on a journey to discovering fitness and health during pregnancy (we are currently pregnant with our first)
And I love questions!! Message me via twitter (@thefaithkeith) or here on my blog anytime 🙂
Bring it on
I work full-time and honestly…it’s with the intent to one day own my business. I want to earn my way up. Now that I’m not in prep, I have the capacity to get back to that career-focus. But…what about a hot body? I want to maintain optimal fitness.
It can be done!
During prep I easily made the workouts and food prep happen at the expense of my work with the excuse that this was short lived. My next vendetta is to make it work (gym/food-prep) over the spring/summer.
I’m going to try 4am again, then maybe 6pm workouts. I’ll start with 5-6 days a week and then maybe change it down depending. My goal is to get my body into it’s optimal state – no yoyo-ing – and maintain it. There is priority order though that I need to keep in check. I will find the balance! Fitness might not always win in a battle of time – we shall see!
Measurable: I think I can stand to drop back down 5-6 lbs
I can learn how to run a business and maintain fitness and still have a life – Watch me! Trial and error here I come! Hoping to pick up a few tricks from other career women/men who make it happen! Bring on the advice/tips/thoughts!
At the beginning of the year I set my New Year’s Resolutions with gusto! I set a few more than usual and I am definitely thinking I should have stuck to my usual 5-7 rule because whew this is a lot!
Not that this is of any interest, but publicly announcing my goals makes it easier for me to stay accountable.
Though I have new resolutions each year, there are 5 that remain my life goals. I have a reminder on my computer pop up with this list each week to help me stay in check.
To know God
To keep myself in optimum shape
To continue to meet life’s challenges with excitement and perseverance
To always give thanks, acknowledging Job 2:12
To support, encourage and fiercely love my husband
What am I doing to meet these goals? I have a fresh tank of motivation rearing to pursue my goals!
I have post it notes all over my house and pop-ups on my computer – how do you keep focused?!
You can read my list of goals on my “2011 Goals” page
Yesterday I left the office at lunch, but this time it wasn’t for the gym!! I was picking up a grilled chicken wrap! yum!
For the first time in what seems like a life-time ago, I bought my lunch. When I was paying I wanted to tell the cashier, “This is my first normal people lunch in 8 months!” But I refrained. I might have given her a heart attack.
This is not a post about fitness 🙂 though there are principles I can apply to my fitness journey. I wanted to take the time to reflect – today is the anniversary of my husband’s would-been-fatal car accident of which he was a passenger. He should not have survived and he should have had suffered brain and spinal damage.
image of car accident by onlooker phone
Today is always an annual reminder for me that life is unpredictable and that you truly mean the world to me. You are the joy of my heart and I am so thankful that the Lord spared my heart from the pain of losing you. I count it my greatest blessing and utmost honor to be at your side.
No one would ever know by looking at you all the pain you go through daily because of the accident. No one would know because you maintain an excellent attitude above reproach. You have never let it stop you and have never let yourself become a victim of the suffering. I admire you. Thank you for leading by example Job 2:10. I’ll never forget when you were in so much pain and I was so angry that this had happened to you and you quoted “Shall we indeed accept good from God and not accept adversity?” I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!
For this reason, I do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; that you walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God. Col 1:9-10
This is your charge. That you walk worthy of the calling which is set before you.
So proud to be your wife and so grateful for every moment I can learn from you.
Remembering The Story