Taking a vacation during In-Season…Tips from my first experience.
Our River Run Village condo in Keystone, Colorado made it possible to cook and prep all my meals. I can’t wait to go back – now I know it is doable to vacation while in-season.
Only dilemma: Airline security will not allow you to bring liquids more than 3 ozs
- Money for water or bring your jug and fill at water fountain after security
- Food in disposable tupperware and ziplocs. Nothing worse than grossing everyone out with empty tuna-smelling tupperware
- Splenda + cinnamon
On the Road with Friends
Dilemma: friends may snack the entire trip
- Sugar free gum (there are tons of yummy dessert like flavors)
- Thermos for coffee
- Crystal light drink mix on the go for your 8 oz water bottles
- Healthy, portioned snacks. (you can still binge on healthy foods, so portion it out ahead)
Staying Sane During High-Altitude Activities
Dilemma: in-season diet plus high-altitude in the Colorado mountains makes for weak energy
What to do:
- Check with trainer before changing your nutrition plan, they may have better suggestions or tell you to wait a day to acclimate
- It WILL throw you off schedule, but make time to eat when you can. Don’t go more than 4 hours without eating
- Drink LOTS of water
- Turn your meals into snack like munchies! I cut up my evening yam into small pieces and treated it like the chips and queso everyone else was eating, dipping the pieces of yam into splenda and cayenne pepper
- Schedule your fitness plan – if you can’t be SURE that you will have the will power to hit the gym during the day while on vacation, then wake up and get it in first thing in the morning to get it out of the way
- MENTION your fitness endeavor. Don’t talk their ear off (no one likes a person who is obsessive), but do mention it or make everyone aware in some way that you are sticking to a meal plan – this will help you stick to it because you can’t let them see you fail. They will respect your efforts and might even be an encouragement to you.
If you have “been there done that” and have tips – please share!!